Most Liked Content

#15206 Private James J Rogerson, Sx3730. (B3. B. 16.)

Posted Matt in Oz on 16 October 2013 - 11:28 AM

Hi all..

My name is Matt Rendell and I live in Adelaide South Australia..

I joined up so I could tell you this story.. I believe this is the page where somebody may be interested..

For all of my life a photo of a "family relative" who died in WWII has hung on our wall.. He is somehow vaguely related to my father..

We have always had this picture, and it currently hangs above my own fathers Service Record and a photo of his father on his Light Horse (Reserve)..

His name is "Jim Rogerson".. Up until yesterday (as my father has passed on and so has most of his family) that was all we ever knew.

With a little googling, and a quick discussion about know facts, we are 100% sure its Private JAMES J ROGERSON, SX3730. (B3. B. 16.)

He was an older guy when he joined up, hence being a Private at 38.. He is also from the right area and his family still are around somewhere in Kilkenny South Australia..

ROGERSON, Private, JAMES, SX3730. A.LF. 2 27 Bn. Australian Infantry. 7th September 1942. Age 38. Son of John and Mary Rogerson, of Kilkenny, South Australia. B3. B. 16.

He is listed on panel 55 at the War Memorial in Canberra.

I am doing my best to scan his photo.. Its a portrait shot of him in uniform with slouch hat on!!

It would be nice if any of you were so inclined, to wander down and say a quite hi to him for us.. Let him know somebody does remember him hey.. I never met him, I do not directly know his family.. But I understand what he gave up..

I hope to one day get there to say Hi myself..

Does anyone have the link to the "online memorial" page I have seen, where I can post his picture? I am hoping to also track down his family to ensure they have a copy of the photo..

thanks

Matt R

#14967 Treknology

Posted Nathan Thomas on 23 April 2013 - 02:47 PM

Hi Everyone,

As many of you know we offer '
Online updates for friends and loved ones' who would like to follow your trek progress. We call it ‘Treknology’.

Friends and family back home can keep up-to-date with your progress by visiting our facebook page, google + page, twitter & website forum.

The other services we provide include news updates via our Iphone and Android Applications. Download our iPhone & Android apps today for FREE, so you can monitor your loved ones progress.

All Kokoda Trekking treks carry our TrekTraka Satellite System. TrekTraka is a powerful social media tool that will enhance not only the trekkers experience whilst on the trek but also your friends’ and family members’ experience as they follow your progress in real time. It allows your followers on Facebook, Twitter and other social media platforms to see exactly where you are, whilst you’re there.

At Kokoda Trekking, we make it our business to make your Kokoda Trail experience as rewarding and complete as possible. Our use of ‘Treknology’ is just one way we cater to safety and social considerations.

How will you stay connected in 2014?

Thanks,

Nathan & Kokoda Trekking Team

Attached Images

• 34710_10151575253425971_1762635495_n.png

#14840 Trek 797 - Trek Completed

Posted Boss Meri on 01 December 2012 - 04:54 PM

Trekkers are ahead of schedule.  Shane just called up and said they have reached Isurava Memorial where they have settled in for the night.  Tomorrow they will walk off the track and under the Kokoda Archway around 1pm.  Shane ordered 11 pizza's to be cooked and ready for them at Orohaven.  He said they have all done extremely well.

Attached Images

• Isuravaa.jpg

#14839 Trek 797 - Trek Completed

Posted Boss Meri on 01 December 2012 - 07:59 AM

Trekkers have now on their way to Eora Creek.  Their first night on the track was spent at Goodwater campsite. The next night was Ofi Creek followed by Agulogo.

After reaching the half way point of Efogi, they moved off to Naduri.  I did not hear but am assuming they spent last night at 1900/Myola Junction.

Today the plan is to head to Eora Creek for the night.  If early they will push on to Alola.

Attached Images

• Trek 744 Naoro to Agulogo - Swamp 640x480.JPG
  • Efogi Creek.JPG
  • Top Crossing of Eora Creek.jpg

#14838 Trek 797 - Trek Completed

Posted Boss Meri on 27 November 2012 - 12:03 PM

All photographs taken have been uploaded to the following link:

https://www.facebook...03025970&type=3

Attached Images

• IMG_2499 1280x768 640x480.JPG
  • IMG_2501 1280x768 640x480.JPG
  • IMG_2527 1280x768 640x480.JPG

#14525 Trekking July 2013

Posted Nathan Thomas on 18 July 2012 - 02:53 PM

Hi Leanne,

It has been great speaking with you on the phone. I thought I would add our Kokoda Trekking Training program here for you and other trekkers to use. I hope to have our online Training Program up and running very soon which will allow trekkers to monitor their own progress and achievements leading up to trek departure. I've listed the trek you are on below as there may be other interested walkers who may wish to join both you and your daughter in An Adventure of a Lifetime!

Adventure Trek - Ower's Corner to Kokoda

Date: 2 July 2013 - 10 July 2013

Open Trek. PNG Guided. This trek will commence at Ower's Corner on the 2nd July 2013 and will finish when you walk out in Kokoda on the 9th July 2013 where you will overnight at 'Orohaven Kokoda Retreat' as our guests. The following day 10th July you will be flown to Port Moresby. Trek 885:

Accommodation - 1st July 2013 Inclusive.

List of Trekkers:

1. Leanne Cruickshank + Requires a porter
2. Nessa Cruickshank + Requires a porter

Thanks again for choosing to walk with Kokoda Trekking.

Kind Regards,

Nathan

Attached Files

#21860 Trek 435 - 26Th September 2008 - Brian Beamish

Posted johnnycash on 03 September 2014 - 12:45 PM

Hi Gail and Crew,

vey sad to hear the news of Brian. I was always intrigued to hear his posts and he enlightening all of us about the goings on etc.

I know he didn't fight in New Guinea during the campaign, but he fought his own battle to finish his trek, as did I and most that walk it.

Best regards to his family.

Not sure if KTL have awards for Guides/Porters each year, but maybe if you did you could name it after Brian and Wallace, as a team, the Mateship, Courage, Endurance, Sacrifice.

Cheers

Dave (I will be back!)

#21671 Private James J Rogerson, Sx3730. (B3. B. 16.)

Posted Shauno on 28 July 2014 - 08:21 PM

View PostMatt in Oz, on 17 October 2013 - 11:30 AM, said:

Hi Mike

Jim is in Bomona Cemetery, (B3. B. 16.)

Its nice to finally know where is he resting..

Hopefully I can find his family and make sure they have a copy of the wonderful photo we have of him..

Cheers

Hi Matt and Mike.

Matt, thanks for your post. I believe Private James Rogerson was my great uncle. My sister was talking about him to me this week, having previously looked him up at Canberra. I wasn't aware of James but was intrigued enough to google his name and found your post.
My maternal grandmother was the sister to James J Rogerson of Kilkenny, SA.
I understand that my cousins husband recently walked the trail and went to his resting place, so be assured that he has been remembered. My sister recently found his name and placed a poppy into his plaque in Canberra.
I'm told that he was a bit of a larikin and had earlier served in Egypt where he was injured. Perhaps as mentioned in the newspaper.
Matt, if you are reading this I would love to get a copy of that picture. My cousin is also doing a Rogerson family tree and I'm sure she would also be interested in a copy.
Reply or email me shauno65(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)au
Thanks.

#21370 Trek 913 - Trek Completed

Posted Boss Meri on 18 April 2014 - 07:22 PM

Trekkers reached the half way point of Efogi around 4:30pm this afternoon. According to Pat their guide, they had a tough day but informs me everyone is ok. Luckily for the group, our food drop went in there today enabling me to send them some chicken for their dinner tonight. Hopefully this will put a smile on their faces when they hear the news. Well at least Pat sounded excited when I told him what meal to look forward to tonight. Tomorrow they have a short day down to Myola Junction/1900.

Note:  The photographs below are posted from my archive file.  Trek photographs will be posted once treks have completed.  Photographs posted are to give friends and relatives back home some idea of where there loved ones are on the 'Kokoda Trail'.

Attached Images

• Efogi Creek.JPG
  • efogi.jpg
  • 523427_436060449778891_1551177319_n.jpg

#21367 Trek 913 - Trek Completed

Posted Boss Meri on 17 April 2014 - 07:45 PM

Trekkers arrived in Naoro Village around 4:30pm this afternoon. According to Pat, they are all doing really well. Today it was pretty wet it seems but they plodded on and reached their destination. Brendan Joyce is still carrying his pack but tomorrow will be thrown an even bigger challenge when they head for Efogi the half way point. So far they have had the track to themselves with treks either in front of them or behind them. Heavy traffic however coming towards them from the Kokoda end.

Attached Images

• Naoro.jpg

#21366 Trek 923 - Trek Completed

Posted Boss Meri on 17 April 2014 - 06:39 PM

Trekkers have now reached Isurava Memorial where they will spend the night. Have spoken to both their guides and they said everyone is doing well. Tonight they are camped with another trekking company with boys also from the Kokoda end of the track.

Tomorrow plan a) is to head down to Eora Creek, plan b) is to stop at Templeton's II.  With a lot of traffic on the track, they need to plan carefully where they will pull up for the night.

Attached Images

• Heading towards Isurava Village.jpg
  • Isurava (8) 640x480.JPG

#21365 Trek 915 - Trek Completed

Posted Boss Meri on 17 April 2014 - 06:35 PM

Trekkers have now reached Isurava Memorial where they will spend the night. Have spoken to both their guides and they said everyone is doing well. Tonight they are camped with another trekking company with boys also from the Kokoda end of the track.

Heard this group are moving along quite fast so fitness must be good.  Tomorrow plan a) is to head down to Eora Creek, plan b) is to stop at Templeton's II.  With a lot of traffic on the track, they need to carefully plan where they will pull up for the night.

Attached Images

• Trek 642 heading towards Isurava Memorial Area 640x480.JPG
  • Isurava (8) 640x480.JPG

#21356 Trek 923 - Trek Completed

Posted Boss Meri on 16 April 2014 - 03:35 PM

Trek 923.  Maureen Wilkinson was the first to arrive when she had us up bright and early on the morning of the 15th having touched down at 5am on a night flight from Singapore.  Whilst Maureen caught up on some sleep other trekkers made their way to Port Moresby.

Mid afternoon the others in her group arrived and it was decided to pick them up at 4:30 to take them to the Royal Papua Yacht Club.

Despite the rain, this went ahead as planned and trekkers were dropped off with a promise to pick them up at 8pm to return them to their accommodation in readiness of a trek briefing and an early night due to their departure today to Kokoda.

This morning trekkers were at the airport to book in at 7am and were on the flight not long after 8am.  After a short break for morning tea in Kokoda, trekkers walked up to the Kokoda Station to look around the museum area before commencing their trek.

Around 11:30am they walked through the Kokoda Archway and on to the track making Kovelo Village before 1pm and their final destination of Hoi Village an hour or so later.

Apparently it was a hot day in Kokoda and trekkers felt the heat as they made their way up the track.

Trekkers in this group include:
  • Dennis Briggs
  • Linda Briggs
  • Maureen Wilkinson
  • Glenn Bell
  • Terence Bell
  • Matt Henderson

Attached Images

• IMGP3946 1024x768 640x480.JPG
  • IMGP3948 1024x768 640x480.JPG
  • IMGP3946 1024x768 640x480.JPG
  • IMGP3940 1024x768 640x480.JPG
  • IMGP3944 1024x768 640x480.JPG
  • IMGP3942 1024x768 640x480.JPG
  • IMGP3949 640x480.JPG

#21355 Trek 913 - Trek Completed

Posted Boss Meri on 16 April 2014 - 03:24 PM

Update:  3:30pm 16th April:  I have just heard from Pat, the group are now at Ua'Ule Creek where they are to spend the night.  Turned out Brendan and Fletcher despite having paid for a porter, wanted to try and carry themselves.  Fletcher gave up at Imita Ridge but Brendan hung in there until they reached Ua'Ule Creek.

Two of our boys dropped off at Owers's Corner have now caught up and have reached Ua'Ule Creek - Ivan and Trophian and I believe the others are not too far behind.  Unfortunately the trek champion Ramsy Idau missed the flight as he turned up just as the plane started up, too late to board.

Pat said it was an enjoyable day and for the time being they are on their own at the campsite not having to share with any other trekkers.

Attached Images

• Ua'Ule Creek (2).JPG

#21353 Trek 913 - Trek Completed

Posted Boss Meri on 16 April 2014 - 02:39 PM

Two trekkers plus their guide Pat Vainirere arrived on the 1pm flight from Australia.  After booking them into their accommodation it was decided to pick them up at 4:30pm and drive them to the Royal Papua Yacht Club for some relaxation time, a few beers perhaps and an evening meal.

Mid afternoon another two trekkers arrived from a Qantas flight and found themselves joining the others at the Yacht Club.  Trekkers were then picked up at 8pm for a briefing and early night in readiness for today.

It was another early morning rise for these trekkers as it was decided last night that rain or shine they wanted to start early and get on the track.  They were informed to be ready by 6am when a bus would pick them up and drive them out to Owers' Corner the drop off point.

I turned up a few minutes after 6am and they were all sitting inside the bus so no PNG time for these guys, they are definitely disciplined.  Pat then joined them on the bus and they were soon off on the climb up Snake road heading firstly to Sogeri then to McDonalds Corner and finally Owers' Corner.

I told them not to get too attached to the boys walking with them as they were only helping out to get them on the track early.  Their real team were to travel into Port Moresby on one of our charter flights this morning and were to play catch up.  Tomorrow morning the Sogeri boys will return to their homes and our Kokoda boys will walk with them to the finish line under the archway in Kokoda.

• Jason Schutt
  • Brendan Joyce
  • Fletcher Joyce
  • Mark Nicholas
  • Pat Vainirere (Guide)

Attached Images

• IMGP5024 1024x768 640x480.JPG
  • IMGP5031 1024x768 640x480.JPG
  • IMGP5024 1024x768 640x480.JPG

#21352 Trek 915 - Trek Completed

Posted Boss Meri on 16 April 2014 - 02:09 PM

This group arrived from Australia mid afternoon on the 15th April and were soon whisked away to the Royal Papua Yacht Club for some relaxation and a meal before returning to spend the night in readiness for an early start the next morning.

Today saw them picked up and driven to the airport for the flight to Kokoda down for an 8am departure.

Everything went according to schedule and not too long afterwards they arrived in Kokoda.  After a short break at our base for morning tea, the group walked up to the Kokoda Station to the war museum.  Around 11:30am they walked under the archway and onto the Kokoda Track.

At 1pm they had reached Kovelo Village and now an hour or so later they are settling into Hoi campsite where they will spend the night.

Tomorrow they will start their climb up to Deniki and face their first real challenge as they head to Isurava Village and onto Isurava Memorial where they will spend the night.

From what I have heard, its hot and sunny over the other side quite the opposite of Port Moresby as they dodged the rain last night and overcast morning as they prepared for their flight.

• Paul Hangan
  • Indiana Hangan
  • Henry Hangan
  • Ezekiel Hangan
  • Noah Hangan
  • Michael Harris

Attached Images

• IMGP3945 1024x768 640x480 640x480.JPG
  • IMGP3943 1024x768 640x480 640x480.JPG
  • IMGP3948 1024x768 640x480 640x480.JPG
  • IMGP3949 640x480.JPG
  • Orohaven Trek 744 2.JPG

#21246 Share Your Kokoda Trekking Experience For A Chance To Win!

Posted Nathan Thomas on 29 March 2014 - 02:09 PM

We have a story written by Cathy who walked with Kokoda Trekking back in April 2005. "I’m not “Just a Mum”.

"KOKODA, Day 1 April 2005

We were four hours in, the sun was relentless and the humidity was sucking the life out of me. I was soa
ked in sweat, we were half way up Test Mountain, so called because it was the first real hurdle the Trail threw at you, trekkers were known to have turned around at this point and not carry on.

I looked up, the others were already out of sight. I had fallen behind. I was left with two porters who were trying to take my pack from me. I had insisted on carrying my own, all but two of the other trekkers had paid the extra $400 to have the porter’s carry their load and they were both men.

It wasn’t the money, I wanted to do this on my own I wanted to make it as difficult as possible… maybe punishment for my perceived failing at life. This was my penance and now I was failing miserably again."

To connect with and read more of Cathy's Story please visit the attached link.

Have you shared your Kokoda story?

http://www.dokokoda.com/saviour/

#Kokoda
#kokodatrail
#kokodatrack

Attached Images

• safe_image.php.jpg

#21210 Share Your Kokoda Trekking Experience For A Chance To Win!

Posted Nathan Thomas on 18 March 2014 - 04:01 PM

So many great stories are starting to emerge from our Kokoda Trekkers!

We have a new story written by Chris who walked the track with Kokoda Trekking as part of Trek # 667. Mates!

"Kokoda – it means different things to different people.  To me it conjured up thoughts of my Digger grandfather and his mates, fighting a seemingly impossible battle, all in the name of Australia.

My brother-in-law, my best friend, his brother-in-law and his nephew and myself trained for 12 months leading up to the walk. We rode, we ran, we walked with our packs up Castle Hill, Mount Stuart at Townsville and any track and trail we could find for ourselves – knowing all too well that nothing could prepare us for The Kokoda Track."

To read more of Chris's Story please visit the attached link.

http://www.dokokoda.com/mates/

Attached Images

• Kokoda Chris.jpg

#21209 Share Your Kokoda Trekking Experience For A Chance To Win!

Posted Nathan Thomas on 18 March 2014 - 12:32 PM

We have another great & uplifting story written Kylie who walked the track with Kokoda Trekking back in May 2010. Spiritual - "Meeting God"!

I really enjoyed reading this story as it brings out and shows everyone the type porters and guides we have within Kokoda Trekking and what they will do to help trekkers feel safe and sound whilst walking the track.

"Ultimately what inspired me to finish the track was a chance meeting with God – and I am not a religious person…

We thought we knew what to expect. My Sister and I we had done our research so we were pretty sure we were prepared and had what it took to get through one of the most difficult treks on planet earth. As our group numbers dwindled due to casualty, we resolutely put our heads down and concentrated on each step forward.

Our epiphany came mid trek. By this stage our personal wonder at the terrain and circumstances that bought us to be walking the track had been replaced by an internal desperation to make it out in one piece. Tired and tested, we had started to walk mindlessly through the dense jungle simply following our porters. The rain hit us like stones, mud ran down the mountain sides and overhead, the jungle foliage closed in blocking almost all the sunlight. It is hard to imagine how dank it can become – it begins to feel suffocating and deadly."

To read more about Kylie's Story please visit the attached link.

http://www.dokokoda.com/meeting-god/

Attached Images

• Kylie Kokoda.jpg

#21208 Share Your Kokoda Trekking Experience For A Chance To Win!

Posted Nathan Thomas on 18 March 2014 - 12:25 PM

Our next story is written by Rebecca who walked the track as part of Trek # 840. Life Altering!

"Easter 2011 my dad passed away, he was depressed and took his own life.

I decided I need to do something to mark his 1 year anniversary but to also get the word out there about depression.

I approached a great friend of mine, Kate Duxbury and suggested doing the Kokoda Track on his anniversary, and without hesitation she said yes.

We started an Everyday Hero’s page to raise money for The Black Dog Institute which helps people with depression. Our aim was $5000 but with the fantastic support of our local CFA, family and friends we were able to raise $7000.
April 2012 we left for Kokoda, a life changing trip.

The trekking company we went with were amazing, and along with fellow trekkers we have made friends for life."

To connect and read more about Rebecca's Story please visit the attached link.

http://www.dokokoda.com/life-altering/

Attached Images

• Bec & Kate at Isurava Memorial.jpg